A Little Bit of Culture

My New Year's resolution for 2006 is to add a little bit of culture to my life. The purpose of this blog is to document my cultural experiences and discoveries.

Sunday, January 01, 2006

Atypical NY's resolution leads to creation of blog.

This year I am not making the typical New Year's resolution. In years past my resolutions have always revolved around food; not eating it (fats and carbs) or eating more of it (fruits and vegetables) ~ you get the picture. Most of these resolutions lasted a couple of weeks some not more than two or three days. So this year I decided to try something new; my New Year's resolution is to add a little bit of culture to my life. Each week I will attempt to learn something new or add a new cultural experience to my life. I will then document my discoveries and experiences on this blog.

How this idea came about:
I was a having a particularly harrowing day at work. It was December 21st, the day of my company's holiday luncheon. I had been responsible for organizing this little event. Now remember I am an accountant so party planning is not my usual forte. It didn't go smoothly from the beginning; while I was transporting the food a large puddle of gravy ended up on the front seat of my car. Then as I was setting up the food a particularly annoying coworker proceeded to tell everyone that I was ruining the meal. I was heating the food at all the wrong temperatures; I had too much water in the nesco and not enough water in the potatoes. He then told me that he thought the ornament exchange I had organized was hokey. In the midst of all of this I was greeting by an auditor who wanted just a few minutes of my time for a surprise audit. After much finagling I ended up getting rid of the auditor and got the party under control, as everyone was eating I escaped to my office for a little reprieve. I signed onto the internet and began searching for a website or blog that would provide me with an escape and perhaps a little bit of culture for a just a couple of minutes before I went back to my mundane office life. I was not successful. I then had a great idea. Since I couldn't find what I was looking for I would create my own blog; one that would provide just a little bit of culture for a few couple of minutes each day.

That is how this blog came about. Hopefully I will keep my resolution for 2006.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home