A Little Bit of Culture

My New Year's resolution for 2006 is to add a little bit of culture to my life. The purpose of this blog is to document my cultural experiences and discoveries.

Sunday, January 08, 2006

Veronica

I just finished reading "Veronica" by Mary Gaitskill. I made the decision to read this book when I came across it on a list of books recommended to give as gifts for Xmas 2005. The article said that this is a book we should all give our daughters to read. "Veronica" is about Alison an aging beauty and former model who had worked in Paris and New York in her youth. She now lives in the San Francisco Bay area, has hepatitis C, and the only work she can find is cleaning the office including the toilet of a friend. The storyline flashes back over her life most notably recalling her friendship with Veronica a woman she met while temping in New York and who ultimately dies of Aids. The book is a complex, difficult read. The subject matter was dark and depressing. I found myself only able to read about twenty pages in one sitting. The characters were numerous, and because I only read a few pages at a time, I could not keep them all straight. This book requires very careful reading to understand all of the deep meanings Gaitskill has written into this book. I really think I would need to reread it to be able to appreciate it. Would I recommend “Veronica” to my teenage nieces, I don't think so. I rate it 3 out of 5.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home