A Little Bit of Culture

My New Year's resolution for 2006 is to add a little bit of culture to my life. The purpose of this blog is to document my cultural experiences and discoveries.

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

"Helen Gurley Brown Quote" is the only culture in my life this week.

Never fail to know if you are doing all the talking, you are boring somebody. Helen Gurley Brown

I spotted this quote in a customer service publication. Good advice for anyone that works in customer service or sales. Here are recent examples I have encountered at my place of employment: the Sales Manager who recounts the same story over and over again about his successful sales department at his previous place of employment (he likes to tell me this story as I am walking out the door causing me to be late for my aerobics class), our customer service rep whose phone calls I avoid because I can never get her off the phone, the salesman who plops himself down in my office to chat; when he leaves I literally have no idea what he was talking about. If I feel this way can you imagine how our customers feel?

There are times I am guilty of this myself. I have been in social situations telling a story about one of my dogs, bragging about how smart my nieces are or heaven forbid talking about my job, when I realize I am doing all of the talking and get the distinct feeling that I must end this story now.

1 Comments:

  • At 1:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good quote. Words to live by.

    I too recently came across a quote that got my attention. An amatuer photographer had posted this quote as her favorite along with her portfolio on a photography website. The quote is by Longfellow:

    "If we could read the secret history of our enemies, we would find in each person's story enough suffering and sorrow there to disarm all hostilities."

    - Not much of a talker in Green Bay

     

Post a Comment

<< Home