A Little Bit of Culture

My New Year's resolution for 2006 is to add a little bit of culture to my life. The purpose of this blog is to document my cultural experiences and discoveries.

Thursday, January 19, 2006

Never Kissed a Frog Never Had Too

I received a fabulous vibrant pink t-shirt at a conference. The front has a picture of a frog and says, "Never kissed a frog" the back says, "Never had too". I absolutely love this shirt. This phrase encompasses everything I have always believed in. Unfortunately when people comment on my shirt I am usually embarrassed and say something like oh this old thing I'm getting low on t-shirts, or it was free, or I like the color. Monday night during my aerobic class, after just such an encounter, I couldn't help but think of Lily Bart.

Lily Bart is the main character in Edith Wharton's novel, "House of Mirth", which I am currently reading. Lily is a 29 year old beautiful socialite who doesn't have any money of her own. The only way she can maintain her social status is to marry wealthy. Lily truly believes she wants to be a permanent part of high society. Unfortunately she ruins her relationship with the rich, but dull Percy Gryce. Actually, every time she comes close to money or marriage she sabotages it. She just can't bring herself to kiss a frog. She does allow Lawrence Seldon to kiss her; he is the one man she truly cares about. He is not particularly wealthy; therefore, he will not make a suitable husband. The book ends on a sad note. Lily, after falling from her place in society, dies unmarried and penniless.

What is the moral of the story? The quest for money and power can cause more problems than it solves. Trust your heart. If Lily would have married Seldon she would have been fine and lived happily ever after. Be true to your feelings rather than play the societal game of money and power. Don't kiss any frogs. You don't have to.

And what about my embarrassment in wearing my frog shirt you may ask? I guess I am just not comfortable walking around with my beliefs displayed on my apparel. When approached I will probably continue giving my lame excuses for wearing it, but I will continue to wear it.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    One should always wear their beliefs, even on their t-shirt, as long as you can't find the shirt at the mall. No haiku intended.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home